Beef Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 ½ lb. boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4” cubes
- 1 Tbs. oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 1 lb. fresh baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp. dried Italian herbs
- 16 oz beef broth
- 16 oz.chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup medium pearl barley (can substitute farro or ancient grains)
- 1 tsp. salt
- Brown meat in oil. Remove and set aside.
- Saute veggies in drippings until tender, about 5 min.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and seasonings. Cook and stir 3 min.
- Add both broths, water, barley salt and pepper.
- Return meat and bring to boil.
- Reduce, cover and simmer 1 ½ – 2 hrs. until meat and barley are tender.
I honestly can’t remember where this recipe came from but it has served me well over the years. As soon as summer ends and a fall chill starts to set it I dust this one off. My family loves it and it always gets compliments, and was especially enjoyed when we served it to the visiting elders of our Church.
It goes best served with homemade bread and good butter, or our favorite, ricotta bread machine bread.