This is my go-to meal when I have company. To me it’s simple, because the chicken can be fried early in the day and then assemble the parts right before everyone arrives. The best part is it looks elegant and seems like you slaved all day.
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded to medium thin
- olive oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 8oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Marinara sauce, jarred or homemade
- Set up a dredging station, using 2 shallow dishes. In one put the bread crumbs, in the other put the slightly beaten eggs.
- Over medium heat warm about 1/2″ oil in a frying pan.
- Working with one breast at a time, first dip into egg, then coat thoroughly with bread crumbs.
- When all breasts are coated add them to the pan, making sure not to crowd.
- Cook 5-7 minutes each side, depending on the size. Set aside.
- At this point you can cover and refrigerate the chicken if making in advance.
- Spoon a layer of marinara sauce in a baking dish, add chicken and top with cheese.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes, then uncover and broil for a few minutes until cheese is browned and bubbly.
I like to serve with pasta and a green, like broccoli or broccoli rabe.