Nothing better than making something that is not only delicious but healthy too!
Speaking of healthy & delicious, let’s talk beets. I fell in love with beets as a kid when my mom would prepare them as a side dish right from the can. Add a little onion, oil and vinegar and boom, a nice little dish that could easily replace a salad.
Later in life I started playing around with fresh beets when a friend gave me her recipe for Healthy Beet Soup. Beets, cabbage, onion, carrots, potatoes in V8 juice. I was surprised at how hard the beets were, like a turnip. Nothing at all like the soft, sliced beets from my childhood. The soup was delicious, healthy and reminded me of Borscht. The beet’s natural color not only stained my hands, but also turned the soup a beautiful deep purple.
I set out to find new ways to prepare my old favorite and by far, this is the best.
Roasted Beets with Garlic
1. If you’re lucky enough to find purple and golden beets use them both. The color contrast is beautiful.
2. Wash them thoroughly without peeling.
3. Add whole peeled garlic cloves.
4. Douse this with a good shot of olive oil and mix.
5. Bake at 375 for about 30 – 40 minutes until a fork can easily pierce.
6. You will end with a lovely pan that looks like this. Are those golden beets gorgeous or what!
7. Gently peel the beets with a paring knife. The skins will easily come off.
8. Slice as thick or thin as you like.
9. You can eat them right from the roasting pan or as a salad. For a salad I dress my beets and garlic with EV Olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then serve it over some mixed greens or just arugula, and top it with a bit of goat cheese. Delicious…healthy…wonderful.